Sunday, March 5, 2017

Day 7 - Church and Serving


Today we finally got to sleep in for an extra hour because of church being at eleven and having no other activities. We drove fifteen minutes to a church service at Iglesia Biblica Petra, which was established by Pastor Cox, and now led by Pastor Hamilton.



The service lasted two-and-half hours and included partaking in communion, the students’ performance of the sin chair, and Jacob Oard playing the piano piece called “Summer”.


The service was quite a bit more energetic mainly through the music. Surprisingly the church seemed more like American churches than the other churches we had the opportunity to minister to.
After we ate some food, we went canvassing in the neighborhood around the compound inviting niƱos to VBS in the middle of the street.



There was a statue, which was our pinpoint for where we would meet for our “street party” and performed the sin chair once more.


Kalen courageously joined Kristi in performing the signing of Via Dolorosa, followed by Gabe, Jacob, and Alex presenting the “evangecube” – the gospel in a visual form.

When VBS was over we went to a soccer field where the boys tried to play some Nicas in a friendly game of soccer, but the game before us was for money and it was not going to end anytime soon.
To wrap up our final missions day we all gathered around, watched God’s Not Dead, and then headed to bed to prepare for our final day.

         Konnor May:  Through leading the sports I feel like God has taught me to be a better leader and showed me the true family of Christ and how dependent we are on one another. I had the opportunity to meet up with a sweet little girl named Alexa and very slowly got her more and more involved in our activities. She was constantly looking for her mom who sadly was not there so she quietly held my hand and waved the parachute.







Last, but not least, I was able to reconnect with Axel from last year’s mission trip and played some soccer. It took him a little bit to recognize me but slowly he recognized my dad and me.

            Cambrie Shea:  I helped Konnor do the games and we did the parachute today.




I had a couple little girls who kept running up to me, holding onto me, and refused to let me go. I noticed one girl’s teeth were rotting away and she was no older than 9 or 10. I realized how blessed we are in America to have a toothbrush and toothpaste to help keep our teeth from rotting. Throughout the whole trip, I have realized how much we take for granted. The people have little, but in a sense they do better than us because they know how to live with little and we “have” to have more and more.




BIOS

1) What one thing has impacted you so far on the trip?

2) What do you hope/pray to see God work/change in you?

Konnor May
16 yrs, junior

1) The children’s joy in having little things and how open they are to us.

2) I hope to be a better leader and be more open to listen to those who are over me.

1 comment:

  1. God rocks! Way to go team! Praying for safe travels home tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete