Friday, March 3, 2017

Day 5 - Location Two - Pastor Jose

This week has been filled with many blessings, and I am having so much fun on this trip; both by playing with the niños (children) and sharing with other people.


  
I am sure you have been reading about what we have been doing thus far, so I will share with you my experiences today. 

Today, we ate an amazing breakfast of eggs, sausage, beans and rice, fruit and sopapillas.  After this, we all got ready to begin our mornings of either constructing a house or evangelism.  I was on the team that evangelized today.  We arrived at the small church where later we would hold a VBS for the niños, and organized ourselves into groups to split up and talk to the community.  While our team leader was doing this, Ryan and I helped some women pump water from a well into buckets. 



I, with many others, then went with a guide and talked to fifteen or so families and invited them to the VBS and to a church service which we will host tomorrow.  Also, while we were reaching out in that community, our small group ate Nicaraguan crabapples and tamarind from pods off the trees.  We did this for a couple of hours then took a break for lunch.  Our construction team came to the church a bit later, and then we ate chicken salad sandwiches, chips, dulces (sweets) and other things.  Most of the construction team returned to the site of the house to continue work while those of us remaining helped with the VBS.  We helped the kids do crafts, games  and blow bubbles.



Personally, I felt that this was the dirtiest yet most fun VBS so far.  I helped some of the niños with their bracelets which we supplied them with and played futbol (soccer) with others.


After an hour or so, many of the kids wanted to climb up on my shoulders and be spun around by their arms.  I had three niños with whom I spent the majority of that time with and soon they all wanted to be picked up at once.  This I could do, however two more came over and wanted to be lifted up with them.  Needless to say I needed Ryan’s muscles to fulfill that. 




I had the chance to talk to a local hombre (man) and I was able to have a conversation with him completely in Spanish (thank you Señora Heys).  I am currently covered in Nica dust because the wind swept it up and spread it literally everywhere.


I especially enjoyed today because I was able to connect with the niños better than in previous days (and yes, I am showering the niños with love).

God has kept almost all of us healthy and has truly allowed His message to shine through us.  Thank you for all of your prayers and please continue to do so as we all are struggling being tired from strenuous days and lack of sleep.  Although this time here has been amazing because of the entire landscape of the country, the food, and the experiences we are seeing, I am excited to go back to the States.  By the way, if you have not yet thanked God today for clean water and national health standards, do it!  This trip has really opened my eyes to see how much we take for granted and how hard these people work to stay alive.  Dios te bendiga!




Gabe Jackson

My experience on this Nicaragua mission’s trip has been tremendous. Although the team and I have personally been challenged with spiritual and physical battles, when the Nicas interact with us, when the kids tug on us, and when the staff continually shows love to us, our hearts and minds are distracted from the infirmities we are facing.

Pastor Jose and his family

Day dos of the trip, sickness got the best of me. One word, kiddos! But God revealed to me that sickness gives a time to step back and see the big picture. Being up all night gave me a quiet time to not only talk to God but listen to His work for me. As most of you know, I absolutely LOVE kids.



Nicaragua has a completely different view on relationships. Most parents just make an effort to assist their kids to survival. My heart felt broken by the love they are seldom shown in the little things, and my heart was overjoyed at the view of extreme happiness in the eyes of kids who felt and learned about the love of Jesus. I realized, yes, I am the one physically doing this, but I am not the one doing this. God enabled me to move, to talk, to run, to love, and to bring the love of Christ He never fails to show me.

Okay, okay, the kids are just stinking adorable, but I’ll tell you about that later. Today, the building team began to construct the second house for Pastor José. On both houses, Timothy, Konnor, and I pounded nails into the roof.



Hammers make people strong… and my favorite quote of the trip so far is Tim saying, “Whoa guys, do you feel like we are getting ripped?! I can feel it.” The satisfaction of achieving the level of sweat, dirt, concrete, and cuts, makes it feel worth it. The wish for food on the bus ride for lunch was unbelievable. Gourmet crushed peanuts and strawberries, with a lightweight whole grain wheat bread never tasted better.  Nothing like a hard day’s work with some good ole peanut butter sandwiches.

After this, we went and held a VBS for another church where Pastor José ministers.  As always the kids warmed my heart with holding hands, giving hugs, tackling each other, and loving me without knowing who I am. In VBS, several of the team members performed a skit representing what sin does to someone’s life. I was able to take a role in this, as a distraction sin uses in someone’s life. Later on we crafted bracelets, blew bubbles, and played futbol.


Everytime it comes to an end and we have to say “Hasta la vista”, my heart breaks knowing I will probably never see those kids again. The bus rides home always have surprises such as singing crazy songs, sleeping, or getting to know silly things about the interpreters.




I am so excited to share the adventurous stories that my team experienced and give advice for future teams.




Stephanie Springer (Junior)

BIOS
1) What one thing has impacted you so far on the trip?
2) What do you hope/pray to see God work/change in you?

Stephanie Springer
16 yrs, junior

1) How well we can relate to people even through the language/communication barrier. I also loved how the kids opened up to us

2) I’ve already seen Him open my eyes and help me to want to do this at home. Stand up and be real, genuine and humble. I should be overjoyed even when things don’t go my way. 



1 comment:

  1. So great to hear about your experience over there! Thanks for sharing Steph!

    ReplyDelete