Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Day 3 - House #1 completed!

Today was a long yet fun filled day. For me it began at 5:30 a.m. and we returned to the compound at 9:40 p.m.  It consisted of lots of building for me and yet I still got time to play with the many children. The children here are so sweet, loving, giving, and most of all they are patient. Despite my poor Spanish (hablo muy poquito español, I find myself often saying) the kids still love to play and communicate in other ways.







Their beautiful smiles, bubbly laughs, and kind-hearted gestures are more than contagious. While I adored working with kids, as I thought I would, I was reminded that lifting heavy things and working on construction may not be my thing.



                I had the privilege of learning much today about construction, building, and about how much heavier things are than they look (the cement bags). I also realized all the more that if Ryan or Miss Becky can pick something up, that does in no way mean I can. I had to smile and look down with a small bit of shame when I heard the native workers say “gringos” and begin to loudly laugh. The workers however are extremely patient. Despite our many, many, mistakes they teach and re-teach us how to do it right and do nothing more than laugh when we mess everything up. I am so grateful for them, the work that they do, and the things they taught the group to do.


                The bus rides are another fun part of this trip. I enjoy sitting with my friends, but also getting to know others better. Sitting back and listening to the many funny and highly entertaining conversations going on around me may just be one of my favorite parts. Today I listened to Timothy present himself again as the chicken of death (Tim, el pollo de muerto) and Kiana’s story of how her black eye really happened (her tale is much more heroic than that of those with her).


Speaking of favorite parts today, we watched one of our translators, Eduardo, do many amazing card tricks and despite what others said I determined he is magical.


To finish off the day we went to Pizza Hut and I ate more pizza than I have in a long while.



                As for God’s work it is more than evident. God truly works in amazing ways. Communication is incredible with the children and the people despite the fact that I can communicate very little with them in words. Language and culture really are the only barriers between us and the native people. Through the prayers, the messages shared, and the looks that the children give we can see that God’s mighty hand is in control. It has only been two days here and my eyes have been opened so much. God is so good!



                                                                       In His Name,
                                                          Chelsea Kukulski

                As for me, the morning came all too early. Today has been an extremely long day. We left the compound at about 8:00am and returned at around 9:00pm. My team was tasked with completing the house the other team began to build yesterday. We had to put up the top half of the walls, which were made of wood. We also leveled the dirt floor of the house to prepare it for a proper floor. Although the group assigned to this task thought we did it correctly, the builders were less than satisfied with the floor. I still cannot believe how patient the workers were with us. They eventually completely redid the work that we did.



                
At lunch, I was reassigned to the VBS/evangelism team because of my enrollment in the Spanish 3 program. Jacob and I gave the plan of salvation using a “salvation cube” to the children.


We also, as a team, danced with the children to several songs. After all the previous events, we had the opportunity to play games such as pato, pato, gonzo (duck,duck, goose), soccer, and several parachute games. While a group of kids played outside, another made crafts inside the church.


                After VBS, we attended a church service at the same church where we held VBS. Mr. Goede had a very encouraging message for us all.


                
On the way back to the compound, we stopped at a Pizza Hut and had an “American” dinner.


                Today was very encouraging. Seeing how joyful people at church were, and how happy the children were, was truly amazing. 





The people of Nicaragua are very encouraging to me as a whole, and I cannot wait to see what the rest of the week brings!




                                                -Alexander Baker

1 comment:

  1. I was waiting for this evening's blog to be posted so I could read it before going to sleep. You had another very busy day! It's encouraging to read about all you are doing in Jesus' name, and how you are working together as the Body of Christ to get it done. Praying each day for you all. Especially that this missions trip won't lose its effect on your hearts as you return next week. But I am praying that, for each of you, God will keep reminding you every. single. day. what He is teaching you and how He is working through you. A location change doesn't change the mighty power of God. But your willingness to walk with and follow Him will lead to amazing opportunities to serve others and Glorify Him WHEREVER you are. Jim Elliot, a missionary who gave his life while reaching the unreached Auca Indians of South America, once said "Wherever you are, be ALL THERE. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God". Go for it!!

    ReplyDelete