Saturday, March 4, 2017

Day 6 - House #2 Complete!

(Note: Long day - pictures will be posted Sunday morning and evening.)

Construcción estaba muy difícil.

This was all Jacob wanted to write because philosophy is too hard.

(That was evidently Mr. Goede taking over for me in my temporary absence) But to reaffirm my previous statement (the one is Spanish), construction was very difficult except for Ryan and Mr. May of course. They were certainly in their element. To my embarrassment however, our general inexperience was blaringly displayed with how it took five people to successfully hammer in one nail and how the siding was very decorated from all the times we missed the nail while hammering.


Our Nica construction crew, including Mr. Kukulski.

Perhaps each of us in the back of our mind wondered whether or not the Nicas could build faster without us or not. Regardless of such thoughts or inabilities, I know that the pastor and his family will be tremendously blessed. When we prayed over the finished house, gratitude was unequivocally expressed in their faces—a communication in no need of a common language.






After failing miserably in pounding in a nail, translator Michael approached me and presented his usual question, “What’s up?” This is a really hard question to answer anyway (I mean, does it mean “how are you doing” or “what are you doing” or both? Idk), so I told him exactly what I said in opening this blog: “Construction is very difficult.” Even though he would have no reason to disagree with my review of how I was doing or what I was doing, my comment might have been inconsiderate. Michael reminded me that in Nicaragua, the men learn how to do construction well because they don’t have a choice; survival for the family is priority one. He told me to appreciate the privilege of choice which I receive back in the U.S. Sadly, there are many things of the U.S. for which I continue to be ungrateful, and so I accurately responded by saying, “This helps me appreciate it.” 




At VBS in the latter half of the day, we allowed the three foot tall children to become seven feet tall for the afternoon, and with the children on our shoulders, we ran and ran and ran. With muscles giving, bodies sweating, and dust collecting, I think it is fair to say that we had never been so filthy, smelly, and tired at once before.






But it was worth it I think, the children enjoyed themselves, and they heard the gospel in their own language without any dreadful mistakes this time. Last time, I accidently said that Adam and Eve became God in Spanish instead of Adam and Eve became separated from God; I did correct myself.

There is no regret inside me for coming to Nicaragua. New perspectives are gained, old friendships are deepened, and a focus of God and His work is propounded.
Enjoy life back in the Bozo, and Happy birthday Ian Gillis!



~Jacob Oard


Hola! Here in Nicaragua, we accompany that word with smiles, and as a result, we get bombarded by niños. Today was voted the most tiring day, full of building, praying with locals, VBS, and a church service. We were in a poorer area than past days, and thus the niños seemed to be even more excited to see us. For me personally, this was my favorite day, and I didn’t want to leave.


I wasn’t on the building team, so my day started with evangelism in the neighborhood. I enjoy praying and practicing my español. I talked to a translator today and I think it would be really fun to come here for 3-6 months. I need to study a lot at home in order to do that, which also excites me. The translators are a great blessing, and a lot of fun to be around.

After walking around and praying, we returned to the church where we would be doing the VBS.




With the niños, we made crosses,  play with bubbles, painted nails, did hair, and played outside a lot. Almost everybody got sunburnt. Niños enjoyed riding on the gringos’ shoulders and their joy was relentless despite our constant remarks of: “Yo estoy muy consado/a” and “Abajo, abajo.” (“I am very tired” and “down, down”). We raced, played futbol (soccer), and danced to English and Spanish music. I was so elated to be 
surrounded by their adorable laughter and wit.

Following the VBS was a church service where we presented the chains play.




I did “Via Dolorosa” in sign language, and Mr. Goede preached about Saul’s conversion on the road to Damascus. I have been teaching Kalen how to do “Via Dolorosa” and he might join me the next time I do it. When the service ended, we continued to run around and play with the niños. It took a long time for us to actually say our goodbyes, for none of us wanted to leave the niños we loved so much.

We then went to the house that we had finished today and blessed it with prayer. The pastor and his familia seemed so full of joy and I remember seeing tears in their eyes as we gave them parting gifts and hugs.




Last time we dedicated a house, I had been the one crying. It is a beautiful reminder of how the work we are doing is so important. It really does have an impact, and God is being glorified.

Finally, we went to a chicken restaurant here in Nicaragua called Tip Top.


 Washroom Line at Tip Top

"This is what love looks like."




I am currently on the bus ride back to the compound. Project Hope has been an amazing partner/host during our trip, and I have been so grateful for all they do for us. The joy that radiates from the team is undeniable, and it has been amazing to see God’s hand in all we do; He has blessed us with many gifts that complement each other so well. He is good. I am in love with this team and the Nicas. We are excited to see what God still has in store for us.
Adios y gracias! Stay tuned.




~Kristi Kollar

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Nica team 2017, you guys are pouring out such love. Thank you. Keep making God's name great

    ReplyDelete