Thursday, March 26, 2015

Some Reflections


Daniel Newman

 I can honestly say that God worked in me and in my classmates in ways that I never expected.
First, the people saw the love of Christ through us. Yes, I knew this would happen but I didn’t know that that many would see us. We saw a so many people on the work sites, in the churches, and in their own homes. God also showed me that the trash in our lives can serve as a greater purpose to eventually lead someone else to Christ.
Second, I saw a major heart change in my classmates and in myself. This is what I have been asking God for since 6th grade. God has truly amazed me.
**********
 
 
 E--- K---------
 

Something that impacted me in Nicaragua was how kind the people are. You can wave to random people on the street and they will smile and wave back. Even though their lives are a lot harder than ours, they find the time and energy to be nicer.
Since Nicaragua, I have been a lot more motivated to do things. After seeing what they do daily, my tasks seem much easier and more rewarding.
 **********
 
 
Nick Jackson

On the Nicaraguan mission trip, God showed me that through extremely difficult circumstances, He provides. He is faithful and has helped Project H.O.P.E. a lot. Most of the Nica people have absolutely nothing and Project H.O.P.E. has changed that by building homes and providing commodities. He has shown me that most of what we experience in our daily lives doesn't even compare to what the Nicaraguan people go through every day. They have stayed true to Christ and God has blessed them because of that. God has changed my life after the trip by helping me to not be so self-centered and encouraging me to help those in need. He has changed the way I look at hard times and He has also changed my attitude toward those who are in need. This trip was a great learning experience for me and I am very glad that I went on it.

**********
 


Jordan Nuss
 
The mission trip to Nicaragua was one of the most memorable trips I have had. God taught me that humility is a key thing in life. One of the pastors that we built a house for was a huge example of living a life full of humility. I definitely enjoyed being around him and his family. Also, the people were not afraid to sing their hearts out to Jesus; they weren't worried if they had a bad singing voice. Their hearts are filled with so much joy even though they live in houses with dirt floors and have no money; they still have something to be joyful about, and that is Jesus.

One of the things that I will take away from this trip is the concept of being a team. We all became so close to one another. I was not looking forward to all of us being dirty, sweaty and cramped in tight spaces, but in the end it was super fun and we had some pretty good laughs. Even now, as we are all back home, we are still close to one another.

**********
 

Macy Shea
 
During the Nicaragua mission trip, God showed me how selfish and spoiled we as Americans are. And He also showed me how to be grateful. We have so much compared to them. Most live in one room houses with dirt floors and yet they still are happy. They don't complain. God is enough.

Nothing from this world will make us eternally happy, except Christ; from Him we have joy. And I think in a culture that is so focused on material possessions, we often see our circumstances as a source of our joy, instead of God and His blessings being what our joy comes from. And in Nicaragua you could see that they had pure joy from what God has done for them.

An example that stood out to me the most was when we visited Furia Santa and the young men and all the little kids were singing at the top of their lungs, raising their hands, with not a care in the world what people thought of them. They were just praising Jesus. And that really challenged me. Do I praise the Lord, not caring what others may think of me? God sent His son to die for sinners like me and I don't even give Him the praise He deserves.

Also, from this trip I have seen how God works in people's lives and how miracles do happen and how Christ really does have the power to save. I didn't just hear about it - I saw it, which is amazing! And it has really inspired me to continue with my desire of going to the mission field when I'm older. I loved spending time with the people and the kids, and it is something I would really like to do all the time. I just loved it all!

**********
 
 
Elisabeth Oswell
 
There were so many things that impacted me while we were in Nicaragua! I feel like I was changed more by this trip than the impact we made. Just to keep things short I will list only a few.

First, I was blown away by the way God worked in my heart, my classmates' hearts and the hearts of the staff at Project H.O.P.E.

Second, I was very blessed by the people of Nicaragua! The staff at Project H.O.P.E. served us by cooking for us and by doing our sweaty, gross laundry. They always did it with kindness and without complaining. Even the translators that went with us to the job site were filled with joy. They pitched in and helped build the houses and do the dirty work, and they showed me what true joy really looks like. Yes, you can still be completely joyful even while working in the hot sun and building a house Nica-style!

I was also extremely blessed by the people we came in contact with. What we did for them didn't seem like a big deal to us, especially in the grand scheme of things. But just by spending time with them and building a very simple house while showing them Christ's love, we impacted their lives in a huge way. And once we finished our time with them, they were so grateful!

I was also so amazed by the hunger the people had for God! Worshiping with the Nica people blessed me so much! It did not matter how long the song went (and sometimes it went for a very long time!), they continued to worship Christ with everything they had.

And last, but not least, I was impacted by the unity our team had on this trip! We really came together and did some amazing things as a team, but I know it was totally and completely because of God. He is the one that brought unity to our team.

The biggest thing that changed in me was my love for missions! I was never that person that thought I could live on the mission field, but now I am rethinking that. I loved those children in Nicaragua! they don't know it, but they both filled my heart with joy and broke it at the same time!

Also, I loved ministering to the people in Nicaragua so I hope I can continue that here in Bozeman. It will not be the same experience, but I can impact the world no matter where I am!

One way that my classmates and I can make a difference is in our very own school. During chapel every Friday we can be an example to the rest of the students, and show them not to be afraid to worship Christ passionately, but instead to worship Him with everything that you have! It does not matter what others think! This was very evident in Nicaragua.

This trip was so good for me! I learned so much and got a much bigger picture of this beautiful world we live in. We are so very blessed to live where we do and to have the comforts of home. We should never take it for granted, and after seeing how children live in Nicaragua, we are very spoiled. I hope to go back there some day! In just one week the people stole my heart and I grew to love that place - even without all the comforts of home.

Thank you to everyone who supported and prayed for me before, during and after my trip.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment