Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Day 6 - Tuesday - Heart Challenges

Today goes down in the top 10 of dirtiest days of my life. Our team (team B) spent the day working on our second house of the trip.
The street to the new building site.
You can see why we're so dirty when the wind blows.

Covered in several millimeters of dust that could have doubled for sunscreen, and a perpetual flow of sweat from every nook and cranny, our team along with several Nicas were able to make quite a bit of progress in one day and team A will likely be able to finish everything up tomorrow.
 Finishing up the roof
 


 Mckinlee
By our American standards, these “houses” would be best described as a small barn, maybe big enough to board two horses, yet to the pastors here they are the culmination and answer to years of prayer.

When we were building the first house I viewed it simply as an activity that was scheduled for us to do while were on this mission trip. Upon completion of the first house yesterday, we all met with the pastor and his family to pray with him and welcome them into their new house.  The pastor’s wife, who had yet to have spoken to us during the three days that we were working alongside her and her family, expressed her gratitude for us in tears and told us how she had prayed for this “dream house” for over thirty years. Hearing her say those words and seeing the impact that it is on her life is something that I cannot describe. Seeing how these past several days of work can change the lives of an entire family for years to come and provide an answer to prayer is incredibly impactful and makes every second of discomfort more than worth it.  

Many of you know that I was very anxious about coming on this trip. In all honesty, not much of me wanted to come at all. My main motivation was obedience and my attitude was one of endurance rather than that of giving or excitement. I cannot say that my attitude has completely turned around and that I am ready to move my small family to Nicaragua, but I can say with absolute confidence that God is softening my heart through these people and children. Please pray alongside me that I would continue to want to be molded by God. In the past two years I have been built up in my own pride by my accomplishments and surrounded myself with comforts and pleasures and have feared if I say , “God, you can do whatever you want with my life”, they may be taken away. Again, this fear is not gone but God is working on my heart, and I want to want to be molded by God in whatever ways He has.
 
Tim, after a day in the sun and wind
 

Love and miss all the family – from those at New Beginnings to those in California.

-Tim

 

There are a few things in life that tend to “get on my nerves.” One of them is people on their cellphones in checkout lines and another is “door to door” salesmen. Both can seem to be an invasion of space and a little too forward for the majority of people.
Tricia's team
Amber's team
However, I have come to see much blessing in being faithful to seek out those who are lost in what we would sometimes see as a very “forward and uncomfortable” fashion.

Today was my third round on the evangelism team and I am falling more and more in love with trusting God’s hand and leading as I interact with the people of Nicaragua in their homes. In my journal I have tried to capture in words the “look” of Nicaraguan homes, but I confess I fall terribly short. While walking into a Nica home I guess you could say they are a Technicolor hodge-podge held together with barbed wire, black tarp and a lot of love. I have been humbled to enter these broken down homes where I have been offered their best chair and glass of Coca-Cola. It has been special to be given a tour of their family via worn and faded pictures on their walls that they display with such pride.

Even though the main objective of our evangelism walk is simply to invite kids to Bible club in the afternoon, you would be surprised at how many families are thirsty for an encouraging word and a time of prayer…Even from a stranger from Montana like me!

I was especially touched today by a young woman named Gabriella who lived at the end of the street I was evangelizing on today. Not long into our conversation her eyes began to well up with tears as she said to me that she feels so far from Jesus. She cried that she has not been to church in a long time and she is afraid that it is too late to get close to Him again.

I shared with her that God Himself has the very hairs on her head numbered and that God doesn’t have a calendar with a due date or a wrist watch that runs out of time for those that are still seeking Him. She cried again and we prayed together. We prayed that her heart would be at peace as she finds rest in the one true God who made her and then sent His one and only Son to die for her. She held my hands and said that she had been praying that God would send someone into her life to help her with her loneliness and to remind her that He cares for her.

I was in awe that God brought me from nearly 4,000 miles away knowing that I would be in this very time and place to speak to Gabriella. Please pray for her! She is so lonely and needy for the love of God to be known in a real way. Pray that she will get plugged into one of the nearby Bible churches where she can make friends with women who know and love the Lord. I could not help but think of Mordecai’s words to Esther when he simply stated, “For such a time as this.” All too often we miss a blessing and an intentional opportunity to impact someone because we look over the hand of God that has brought us somewhere for a specific time and a perfect purpose. I am reminded once again not to take lightly the timing of people and circumstances that fill our lives. All are far too perfectly crafted by the Potter to take for granted.

Bible club today was a HUGE blessing (as always)! After every Bible club I want to grab the whole bunch of kiddos and take them home with me! They are the most grateful, enthusiastic and friendly group I have ever known. They love to share hugs, high-fives and foot races with you every chance they get. In a place where there is very little, every expression of kindness and compassion is so well received. There are countless moments that I will simply ponder in my heart because words just can’t do the experience justice!
 

Though I have been covered with dust, sweat and bug bites from head to toe, I would do it again in a heartbeat just to invest with these kids and their families just a little bit longer! God has been so good and I feel ever changed for having had this chance to play a small role in “kingdom building” in Nicaragua. Thank you for all your prayers! They have held us in big and small ways!
-Tricia

Cutting up firewood
 
Our newest "facilities"

No comments:

Post a Comment