Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Los turistas!

Monday, March 11
Hello! Today was the most exciting uneventful day of the trip. We got to be tourists! For some of the group, being a tourist was not that exhilarating. We had a great breakfast, the first best part of the day. After that we jumped on the bus and headed off to Granada on Lake Nicaragua.
 We were planning on going to a volcano, but after we found out the road was under construction, we had to change our plans. The bus ride was like normal; laughing, singing and sleeping.
When we got to the lake we were entertained by swinging on vines like Tarzan until our boat was ready to leave. It was the most fun thing ever!
We split up into two groups and jumped on two different boats for a little cruise.
We weaved our way through many little islands with extremely nice houses on them.
 
We arrived at a little island called Monkey Island. We were told that a rich man did not want his monkeys any more, so he dropped them off at the island. As we looked up we saw four little monkeys swinging from tree to tree. We then turned around and headed back to shore. 
 
 
 
On the way Pablo picked a very cool flower that “makes” people fall in love within five minutes. I don’t think it worked. J Once back on shore we jumped back on the bus and headed to a fine lunch on the lake.

 
 

Something the Lord has been teaching me this week is that I cannot let anything hold me back from giving everything to Christ, especially possessions. These people do not have anything and yet serve the Lord with all their heart and with amazing joy. I cannot let anything hold me back from giving my whole heart to Christ.
Well, I am bummed to be leaving so soon, but I am excited to be coming home to apply the lessons I have learned. See you soon!
For the team, Antonio Gossack


 Que onda salvaje? We ended our scenic cruise with lunch.
 The team ate at a very nice outdoor restaurant conveniently located right next to the sparkling lake. We had rice (my FAVOURITE), steak, papas fritas, salad, and I got to drink guayaba juice. 
 Then we took a lovely group picture. I thought we looked pretty good! 

The team then headed to the market in Masaya to do some touristy shopping. I am not exactly what you would call a big fan of tourism, as I would much rather spend my time with the Nicaraguan people.  However, this was a big chance for me to value the interests of others and be understanding. 
 Everyone split up into about four or five groups, each having a translator, and we entered the market.  I got to translate and barter, so it wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would have been.
The tiendas were full of brightly coloured knick knacks of all sorts, plenty of jewelry, hammocks, odd mask things, and…raspadas! Raspadas are little frozen delicacies that I haven’t had in about three years.  They scrape ice off of a huge block of ice and put the fine shards into a cup. The cup of ice is then doused with a sweet, caramelly sauce and served to you. I think it was the highlight of my time there.  It was fun to see the others enjoy the many wonders of the world of los turistas.
We got home and had soft tacos!! I accidentally dropped my fork in the trash and frantically tried to fish it out, but after five minutes of dismal failure, I was told that it was okay to leave it in there. I was very relieved.

A final team meeting ended our day. We got to spend time in God’s presence through worship and were able to encourage each other.  This mission trip has allowed me to build better relationships with my fellow classmates, and it has been a blessing to work alongside them every day. I can see their hearts for God and it encourages me to see how willing they are to serve and share Jesus with los Nicaraguenses!  The Lord has been gracious with me this week and helped me to be humble. Being able to speak Spanish is a blessing from Him, but it does not give me any reason to be prideful. Having other translators around has taught me so much, and it has been a privilege to get to know them. God is so good to me.
Well, I think I’m going to go and join in on some blonde jokes with my team now.  We fly out at 6:40 tomorrow morning, so please be praying for a safe flight!
 Michelle Simpson...out. (as always, for the Team)

No comments:

Post a Comment