Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Looking Back...and Ahead


Kaleb Biladeau
I really enjoyed this trip. I got to know the seniors a lot better and became good friends with them. The trip was a real blessing because I got to see a different culture. It was cool (and sad) to see how simple the people live. God really put the people on my heart. God also showed me that I am not alone; I have people who care about me around me all the time. And Mr. Madill was a real encouragement to me. I had a fun time, and it was a real growing experience for all of us. I am sad to go; I will miss Project H.O.P.E., the Nicaraguan people and Nicaragua – it is such a beautiful place. For my first time out of the country and alone (without my parents), I am so thankful it was to come here with my friends.



 









Kallee Brownlee
On this trip God has shown me how much it means to care for other people. At the start of the trip, I was very self-focused and then I began to try to be more others-centered. Being others-centered really heightens your mood and helps you feel better when you are feeling down. You would think it would make you feel worse, but loving others is a huge joy-booster.


Anthony Gossack
I really liked the trip. It was so much fun to develop better relationships with the team and the people in Nicaragua.
Something the Lord taught me was to not let anything hold me back from putting my whole treasure in Jesus. Not possessions or things I like to do. My treasure is in Christ, no matter what I have – like the Nicaraguans, who are a great example of that.
The trip was wonderful and I do not regret it at all!

 

Alethia Heide
What an amazing trip! God grew me in so many different ways, but I think the main one was humility. During the trip, there were a lot of different situations where it was tempting to have a prideful or selfish attitude. It would have been easy to complain, not step out of my comfort zone, and not reach out and encourage my teammates. We talked a lot about putting to death our sinful desires and this challenged me to look for ways to serve others and be an encouragement to those around me.

 





  

 Daniel Moore 
The most important thing I will take back from this trip is patience. After hours of airport security, layovers, and waiting for materials at the construction site, God has taught me to make the most of this extra time without becoming anxious or annoyed.
God has also taught me humility through a variety of experiences. First, I did not speak Spanish well enough to communicate well in Nicaragua, so I had to rely on translators. This dependence helped me stay humble. I was also sobered by the fact that the Nicaraguans are so content, even with so few possessions. I realized that many things I take pride in are nothing in the grand scheme of things, a concept that humbled me and helped me focus on the only thing that really matters: Christ.

Cara Robertus
Over the course of this trip, God has shown me that I need to shift my focus heavenward. So often, I find myself getting wrapped up in things of the world, such as activities I’m involved in or plans I have. Being in Nicaragua and seeing how God is working in the lives of the people there has shown me the importance of living with the goal of storing up treasures in heaven! As I return to reality, I will seek to live wholeheartedly for Christ, putting my efforts into adding to God’s kingdom. This trip has changed my life, and I am excited to see how God will use the things I have learned to impact others.

 
Michelle Simpson
It was such a blessing to be a part of this trip! God has been very good to me. I specifically worked on humility during this past week. It can be so easy to be prideful just because I can speak the language. The reality is that I am only a very small part of this trip. Everything I have is a gift from God, and I am to use those gifts for His glory. I was able to learn a lot about translating this week by spending time with Project H.O.P.E.’s wonderful translators.
I strengthened my relationships with my classmates and was able to serve the people I love. God has blessed me by allowing me to go back “home” for a week. Thank you for your prayers and support! Chao pescao!


Mackenzie Stromberg
Through the trip, I have seen God’s handiwork in the way we were united as a team and ready to serve. God showed me how much bigger the world and His church is. I was very blessed by this experience and saw so many happy, joyful people, even though they have nothing. It really enforced the idea that earthly things are idols for many Americans and the things of this world are passing. Joy and satisfaction don’t come from earthly goods, but rather Christ in us. It was the best week of my life and was a time of fun, excitement and being stretched. We were able to learn new skills and meet some amazing people in Project H.O.P.E. who have a great love for the Lord, and are welcoming and fun.

Although I couldn’t speak Spanish, I could still communicate well through my poor Spanish and facial expressions. I am so thankful for this opportunity and wouldn’t change it for the world.


Matthew Tofslie 
On this trip, God has really shown me how to love. Not just one person or people I like to be around. He has shown me how to love people I don’t even know. He has shown me how to love people on the team that I have spent years with in school.
This trip has also opened my eyes to the poverty here in Nicaragua, and how little these people actually have. Yet, their love for the Lord, and their love for those they don’t even know, is so amazing!
I thank God for allowing me to come on this trip. I am also thankful I was able to go with people who love the Lord and seek to show God’s love in everything they do.


Baylee Van Winkle 
Writing down what this trip has meant to me is not physically possible. There is no way to describe the enormous heights of joy, love and peace I have experienced. There is no way to explain it, no way to make you understand how in one week you can become so wholly devoted to a people that you can barely communicate with. Part of me doesn’t even think it fair to ask us to try.
There is, however, one thing I would like to share: this trip has brought me closer to the Lord in a way I never thought possible. My heart has broken, and in breaking my heart, God was able to fill it with Himself. I feel His love, His compassion, and His presence. This trip shows you nothing so much as the holy hand of God over all eternity, working in all places and all times, for His perfect and pleasing will.

 Ryan Westlake
When I think about this trip we just had, I see that it was an incredible experience. Traveling out of the United States for the first time, and witnessing a completely different lifestyle, was eye-opening. I enjoyed every single moment. Whether it was playing with the children, hammering nails, putting the roof on, or fellowshipping with the group, it brought me joy.

The Lord showed me numerous areas in my life that have been wrong. The biggest thing was where it is that I find my satisfaction or comfort. It is very easy for me to find comfort in my standing before men or what I “have”. However, those things will pass away and be no more. My comfort needs to come in the knowledge that I belong to Christ. Many of the people we served this past week have very few possessions, yet have great joy. Finding comfort in the things of this world will always be something I will fight against, but I realized how in the midst of having so little, you can have great comfort.
I will never forget this trip. I am so thankful for the Lord providing this opportunity for the team. My friendship has grown with multiple people. I am excited to see what the Lord has for me in the future, and how He will use the experiences of this trip in my life.


 Mrs. Kneeland 
I’m so thankful to have had the opportunity to on the Junior/Senior mission trip twice. I love Nicaragua, I love the people, I love the work, I love seeing our kids grow and I love what the Lord does each time!

This trip made clear to me the great need for discipleship and Biblical training in Latin America. We attended six church services and saw first-hand the people’s enthusiasm for the Lord, along with a lack of depth. I spoke with four Nicaraguans who work for Project H.O.P.E. and none had a home church and only one knew the Bible very well. I have reached the conclusion that investing in missionaries to disciple believers in Latin America is a very worthwhile endeavor! At House of Hope I was able to see how beneficial long term ministries can be!
This trip teaches endurance, dependence on the Lord, intense discipleship, putting others first, focusing on the Lord and love for others. I am deeply grateful that Heritage does this trip and I am always eager and willing to go, and encourage all HCS staff to take part in this amazing opportunity at least once.


Mr. Robertus

 



What a blessing it has been to both serve and minister with the Nicaraguan people! Despite poor livng conditions, they are so joyful and appreciative of our gifts and service to them. And their enthusiastic worship services are truly inspiring! I also enjoyed serving with and building relationships with the members of our team. It was exciting to see such quality young people serving others. This was certainly a lfe-changing experience that I shall always remember.






Mr. Goede 
What a great gift that God gave us this past week. I saw God answer prayer by protecting us, giving us hearts to serve and love others, and developing relationships with many people in Nicaragua. I will remember and miss Pastor Dennis’ 7-year old granddaughter, Lydia, who always had a smile on her face and loved playing with all of the team working at their house.
God showed me how He can work through all of us as a team to show Christ’s love to many people. I was personally challenged to consider if I really am willing to serve God anywhere, doing anything at anytime; even if that means serving the Nicaraguan people by living in a 15x18 foot home with a dirt floor and no plumbing. I look forward to how God will lead me and all of us to apply what He has shown us this week.


Mrs. Goede
It was so encouraging to watch the students throughout the week as they focused on serving the Nicaraguan people and each other. I saw them working, with joy and glad-heartedness, in the heat and the dust. I saw them sitting in the dirt with children, running in the dirt with children, and singing and laughing with each other. I was blessed to watch this group bond together in the unity of the Spirit.

Having been to Haiti once and Belize three times, I knew that God could use this trip in any way He wanted to change my heart in order to bring Him glory. He never disappoints!

There were several things that Jesus touched my heart about. Briefly, a couple of them: 1) I need to be more of a “social outcast” in our society…in the opposite way of how we usually think of it. Because our society is becoming increasingly anti-Christian, my life needs to be such that I stand out to the point of being an outcast for Christ. 2) I was reminded that denying self and serving others begins in the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment